from Sidewalk 204 – September 2013
âDan DVSâ, âFox Beanie Kidâ, âThe biscuitâ? Set it straight and let the people know who you are…
- Areet lasses! Nameâs Daniel Main, Iâm 23 and from Gateshead but I spend most of my time in the Toon. Basically âDan DVSâ came from the OG Native forum, that was my user name and it just stuck I guess. It was the Lowfell crew who called me âFox beanie kidâ as I wore one every day and they didnât know my real name, (laughs). As for âThe Biscuitâ, that one was given to me by Buster aka The Howden Chutney when I apparently stole and ate an entire packet of rich teas from his flat. The Newcastle scene is full of nicknames and itâs hard to keep track at times.
So when did you ditch DVS Dan? WasÂ it when My DC Crew hooked you up?
- (Laughs), well with the group of friends I have you can never really just ditch a nickname; you have to just deal with it. At present itâs The Biscuit until another one gets given to me. One nickname to another I guess.
Well as weâve come to realise the Newcastle Scene is renowned for having the best nicknames: whatâs your top 5?
Mongo Chicken Speed Pusher
Switch Flip Small Head
The Howdon Hotdog
Matty Burger Switch Front Board The Yoda
Ranson mentioned that youâre âa fellow Swanâ in his intro, whatâs up with that?
- Swan Gang Up In This Bitch! If you didnât know now you know… a certain Herman,
Hsu and Reynolds are down for life. SGUITB!
I hear you all have Swan Gang tattoos, is that right?
- Itâs more like 3 people, you donât need to have a tattoo to be part of it, itâs just a group of mates getting on ruthless times!
You just dropped a rad 10 tricks edit for Native Skate Store at your new favourite spot (the new Newcastle wasteland), anymore edits in the works? A Swan Gang videoÂ maybe?
- I think there is a little edit coming out sometime soon, (or maybe already has by the time this is out) from Native, on which all the team have a handful of tricks in including myself. Now you mention it though a full length Native Video is long overdue, that shit needs to happen so get on it Jackie!
Youâre all about being a Geordie, what are your 5 favourite things about the Toon? Brown Ale
Nearly getting knocked out on the big market
Weâll keep it short and sweet; you got any shout outs, thank yous, pearls of wisdom you would like to share?
- Special thanks to the Jackie for putting up with my constant chucky bill on boards. Also keep an eye on the Newcastle lot because as youâve seen in the Newcastle Weekenders article, there are a lot of heads killing it on the daily. SGUITB!
Danâs skills on a hippy stick are always on point, whether heâs fresh as a daisy, hanging out of his arse, or three sheets to the wind. Always down for a laugh, always got a trick for the spot, always texts when heâs pushing wood. A good friend and fellow Swan that youâd be more than hap- py to take home to meet your mother. I also heard he likes to have girly chats about nothing on the phone while heâs in the bath but I am yet to receive one of these, the TART!
- Daniel Ranson
Dan Main (who I lovingly refer to as The Biscuit) is the quick-footed wizard of 5 Bridges, forever on the session and always down for those street beers! Stoked to see heâs finally getting a First Light as heâs been deserving of one for a long while now. Danâs one of those people who you could sit and watch skate all day, always creative and basically smashes it on a wheelie plank.
- Johnny Haynes