From Sidewalk 207 – December 2013
Photography by Rob SalmonÂ
Joe is one of the best skaters I know and he has the mentality to go so far.
I remember once he was throwing himselfÂ down a stair set in his small, home-made improvised skate park in his garden and was so determined to land his first 360 flip down it until his board took a dive nose-first into a bucket full of water. It was hilarious! Joeâ€™s perseverance to learn and improve hasnâ€™t dwindled since day one, he hasnâ€™t put his board down since the very firstÂ day he picked it up and everyone should expect to see a lot more of Joe Hinson to come. Mind you, it did take him about 100 years to learn how to ollie, (laughing)…
- Ed Richardson
I havenâ€™t known Joe for long but he certainly is persistent and for some reason loves to jump down big things, as you can see here. Cambridgeshire isnâ€™t exactly known for its wealth of spots or decent skateparks so Joe has done well to grow into such a rad skater.
- Rob Salmon
Okay Joe Hinson â€“ introduce yourself please…
- Hello! My Name is Joe Hinson, Iâ€™m 17 and Iâ€™ve been skating for just over 4 years. Iâ€™m from a really small village in Cambridgeshire.
You basically live in the middle of nowhere in the Fens â€“ how does a young Fensman like yourself come to stumble across anÂ â€˜inner city gangsterâ€™ activity like skateboarding? Surely there wasnâ€™t an existing skate scene in the depths of the marshes, was there?
- No thereâ€™s never been a skate scene where Iâ€™m from. I first saw one of my mates skating about doing kickflips and 360 flips and I just sort of got hooked on skating from there.
How far away from your house is the nearest thing that would be considered a â€˜skate spotâ€™ by your average skater and what is it?
- Thereâ€™s a really small skate park about a 15-minute drive from my house but itâ€™s not the best park by any stretch of the imagination. There are no real street spots anywhere near me.
Whatâ€™s the nearest city scene to your house?
- Well the nearest is Cambridge but I mostly skate with people from nearby villages and some of the guys from Corby/Northampton and Saffron Walden.
Which skaters/videos/video parts hype you up and why?
- I watch a lot of skate videos. I really like the recent Emerica and Deathwish ones as I like to skate gaps and rails, so they always hype me up to skate…
Are you a torrent thief or do you still buy skate culture?
What was the last DVD you bought if so?
- I try and buy mostÂ of the new videos that come out. The last one I bought was the Deathwish video but as soon as Cold War comes out on DVD Iâ€™ll be getting that.
So you live on the site of an Equestrian Centre â€“ whatâ€™s the deal there? Did you grow up like a Cambridgeshire cowboy or something?
- (Laughing), I grew up around horses but never really got in to it that much…definitely not a cowboy.
Tell us about your pre-skate riding days please…
- I canâ€™t really remember that much about it – the last time I rode a horse was like 12 years ago, (laughing)…
Ever jumped over anything big on a horse?
- I never really jumped anything to be honest; I was just a tiny kid.
So from looking at your Instagram I can see that you have quite an array of sponsors â€“ what exactly does a package from â€˜Soft Trucksâ€™ entail? I guess theyâ€™re a good option for you to skate indoors when youâ€™re stuck on the ranch, right?
- Well they send me Soft Trucks and stickers whenever I need them and some times some decks as well. Soft Trucks are so much fun when itâ€™s raining and you canâ€™t skate outside.
Which other people give you free stuff and what do they expect from you in return?
- I ride for Billyâ€™s Skate shop in Cambridge, Muted Clothing, Softrucks, Zombie Brand Urethane and I just got ask to ride flow for 24 Skateboards but Iâ€™m still awaiting my first package, (laughing). All they ask me to do is to skate, have fun, get footage and photos for them and skate some comps if I want to.
Who are the top five UK skateboarders in your opinion and why?
- Umm, thatâ€™s a hard one as there are so many good skaters in the UK, so this is in no particular order as they all kill it. Iâ€™ve been really been hyped on Neil Smith, Charlie Munro, Will Golding, Kris Vile and Nick Remon lately, I just like their styles and the stuff they skate.
Did Nyjah just win skateboarding or what?
- (Laughing), yeah, Nyjahâ€™s new part was so crazy.
- My sponsors and everyone who has helped me out in life.